Sunday, January 11, 2009

Mr Ganja - put some funk on that stank!

The other day I was in my local, large-chain, variety store. There was a guy in front of me buying clothes. 30ish, handsome in a disheveled, "I was good-looking and something back on the football team", sort of way. What drew my attention was not the fact that he kept vying for 30% off on a shirt with the sales clerk, but the constant state of motion. He could not keep still! The thought "he is tweaking" ran through my mind and as I got closer my nose filled in the details. Odiferous wafts of pot has such a distinct smell.

If my brother had been with me he would have said something like; "dude - put some funk on that stank!" (and I would have laughed like I do every time he says it).

Maybe I am different. I know that some of you wouldn't know what a doobie looked liked if it walked up and smacked ya up the backside and ya know....that is just okey-dokey. That type of innocence is refreshing. It reminds me of how things could have been. You see, I grew up with parents of dichotomy. They were business owners, on the PTA, etc., but we had a family secret and that was D-R-U-G-S and that just spelled a whole lot of craziness through the years. Some of my most vivid memories are of watching my dad sift the seeds out of the mar-eh-juh-wanna he had grown and dried, or the weekend family shroom picking outings; The faster we filled our buckets, the quicker we'd get our berry shake treat. And dang if I wasn't like white lighting.

A digression: Did you know that the receptor neurons in the nose are particularly interesting because they are the only direct recipient of stimuli in all of the senses which are nerves? Yah - I didn't know that either. I guess you could say that when I smell marijuana, pot, wacky weed, burnie, grass...whatever you call it, it stimulates & sets off a lot of neurons in my memory caches.

Music does that too. Scientists call it word power. You can test the power of a song right now. Beware... one of these could ruin your day:
  • "The Theme from Gilligan's Island"
  • "Mission: Impossible"
  • "We Will Rock You"
  • "The Macarena"
These ditties have been cited as the most common to get stuck in people's heads and create a cognitive itch. During the family drug days my dad was really into music. Whenever there was a drug party at our house, music could be heard through the smoke haze. When I realized that America's Horse with No Name was not about a literal horse, that gave me a pain.

OK - sheesh - back to the main point.
wait....is there a main point....oh yah....it's this piece of brilliance

We all have a little bit of the Mr. Ganja in us.

Invincible
moments where we don't care what people see and smell.

Invalid
moments where we feel unseen and unnoticed.

And then those "For the love of all that is Holy, I hope no one saw me"....I WISH I WAS invisible moments. (like the time I went nuts and sped up to re-pass someone - on the wrong side of the road - just before a curve because their driving ticked me off. (don't worry that was like months ago)

There is One who does see....and not in an all-seeing eye sort of way the Hindu's would propagate nor in a stern "I see your crap you little failure" way the ultra religious would preach.

No - the ONE I am talking about is Jesus.

And His word says that He was a Man of sorrows; acquainted with grief —Isaiah 53:3.

Frankly...I need to hear that.
I need to know that He sees me even when I cover up my stank and convince myself no one else smells it. Jesus even sees me when I have reached the place where I just don't care what I smell like to others.

Not only does He see me, but He loves me in the midst of it and that is better than any other high!

1 comment:

  1. I think that you should add "writer" to your list of what you do! I love your writing! What a beautiful creative blog.

    I can't imagine Scott marrying a boring, non-creative person, as well as, a strong vivacious woman!

    Hope to meet you some day,

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete